Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly feature. You should check out the Goodreads group!
This weeks topic is all about unlikeable protagonists. And I must admit this is a really hard topic for me as when I don’t like one of the main characters, it is really hard for me to like the book, and I have even stopped reading some books because the main character just rubs me the wrong way. However, every so often there is a main character that I don’t like, but I still enjoy the book overall.
I may be interpreting the prompt a little differently, but they is what is so great about T5W! So, here are some characters that I dislike, but still enjoy the book they are in.
1. Kell from A Darker Shade of Magic- I really did not like Kell at all, To me he just felt so 2D and did not have any personality-and the personality he showed was just very self serving and a little abrasive. Sometimes I like characters like that, but in this case I did not. I have heard the second and third books in the series are better then the first book, so I am interested to see if Kell changes throughout the series.
2. Alina Starkov from Shadow and Bone– Am I alone is saying I did not particularly like Alina? I thought she was complained a lot in the early books, and I could not stand her pining over Mal for the whole series. It did get better in the third book (which was my favourite), but she has all of this power as the Sun Summoner, yet complains about Mal and her circumstances. I really enjoyed the series as a whole, but was not particularly fond of Alina.
3. Ron Weasley from Harry Potter- Now Ron is not the main protagonist, but he is a main character. And I am so sorry to all of those Ron fans out there, but I don’t really care for him. I think his friendship in the first three years of school with Harry was so important and those two really had some great moments. After fourth year I felt they drifted away (I could not get over how terrible Ron was to Harry throughout the whole Triwizard Tournament) and for the last few books their friendship was not as close as they used to be. I love the Weasleys, but Ron is definitely not one of my favorite Harry Potter characters.
4. Scarlet from Caraval-I am on the fence about this book, and I think one of the main reasons is because I felt nothing for the main character Scarlet. She is not memorable and I think that is one of the reasons I don’t really like her-she does not have an impact or shows that she stands for anything in the book.
5. Gia Montgomery from The Fill-In Boyfriend– I just could not like Gia as she is so incredibly shallow! She gets a random guy to pretend to be her boyfriend at Prom because she worries that her friends will not leave her if they find out that her real boyfriend broke up with her. Then she is so mean and inconsiderate to the boy too after he does her a huge favor. She tries so hard to maintain the illusion that she is perfect so her friends will like her.
I hope you liked my T5W for this week. As always, share with me your lists and give me your recommendations 🙂